March 2012 Researcher of the Month - Fei Song, MD
My research focuses on the receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGE) and diet-induced obesity. It involves studying how glucose and lipid homeostasis is regulated by RAGE in different tissues including muscular, adipose, liver and pancreatic tissue. My studies have also included investigating how RAGE influences the “cross-talk” between these tissues.
1. Ma W, Rai V, Hudson BI, Song F, Schmidt AM, Barile GR. RAGE binds C1q and enhances C1q-mediated phagocytosis. Cell Immunol. 2012 Feb 13. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Xu Y, Toure F, Qu W, Lin L, Song F, Shen X, Rosario R, Garcia J, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. Advanced glycation end product (AGE)-receptor for AGE (RAGE) signaling and up-regulation of Egr-1 in hypoxic macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2010 Jul 23;285(30):23233-40. Epub 2010 May 27.
3. Reiniger N, Lau K, McCalla D, Eby B, Cheng B, Lu Y, Qu W, Quadri N, Ananthakrishnan R, Furmansky M, Rosario R, Song F, Rai V, Weinberg A, Friedman R, Ramasamy R, D'Agati V, Schmidt AM. Deletion of the receptor for advanced glycation end products reduces glomerulosclerosis and preserves renal function in the diabetic OVE26 mouse. Diabetes. 2010 Aug;59(8):2043-54. Epub 2010 Jul 13.
4. Juranek JK, Aleshin A, Rattigan EM, Johnson L, Qu W, Song F, Ananthakrishnan R, Quadri N, Yan SD, Ramasamy R, Schmidt AM, Geddis MS. Morphological Changes and Immunohistochemical Expression of RAGE and its Ligands in the Sciatic Nerve of Hyperglycemic Pig (Sus Scrofa). Biochem Insights. 2010 Sep 1;2010(3):47-59.
5. Toth C, Rong LL, Yang C, Martinez J, Song F, Ramji N, Brussee V, Liu W, Durand J, Nguyen MD, Schmidt AM, Zochodne DW. Receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGEs) and experimental diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes. 2008 Apr;57(4):1002-17. Epub 2007 Nov 26.
6. Aleshin A, Ananthakrishnan R, Li Q, Rosario R, Lu Y, Qu W, Song F, Bakr S, Szabolcs M, D'Agati V, Liu R, Homma S, Schmidt AM, Yan SF, Ramasamy R. RAGE modulates myocardial injury consequent to LAD infarction via impact on JNK and STAT signaling in a murine model. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008 Apr;294(4):H1823-32. Epub 2008 Feb 1.
7. Bucciarelli LG, Ananthakrishnan R, Hwang YC, Kaneko M, Song F, Sell DR, Strauch C, Monnier VM, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R. RAGE and modulation of ischemic injury in the diabetic myocardium. Diabetes. 2008 Jul;57(7):1941-51. Epub 2008 Apr 16
8. Bucciarelli LG, Kaneko M, Ananthakrishnan R, Harja E, Lee LK, Hwang YC, Lerner S, Bakr S, Li Q, Lu Y, Song F, Qu W, Gomez T, Zou YS, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R. Receptor for advanced-glycation end products: key modulator of myocardial ischemic injury. Circulation. 2006 Mar 7;113(9):1226-34. Epub 2006 Feb 27.
The discovery of the important role(s) RAGE plays in attenuating metabolic dysregulation induced by chronic energy imbalance (diet-induced obesity) has led to more fundamental questions regarding the function of RAGE in basic metabolic homeostasis.