October 2012 Researcher of the Month - Nosirudeen Quadri
My current research is focused on quantitation of metabolites and high-energy phosphates using HPLC, and measurements of reactive oxygen species using fluorescence spectroscopy. The goal is to determine if aldose reductase and RAGE mediates some of their actions by impairing energy production and increasing oxidative stress in diabetic failing heart.
1. Juranek JK, Aleshin A, Rattigan EM, Johnson L, Qu W, Song F, Ananthakrishnan R, Quadri N, Yan SD, Ramasamy R, Schmidt AM, Geddis MS. Morphological Changes and Immunohistochemical Expression of RAGE and its Ligands in the Sciatic Nerve of Hyperglycemic Pig (Sus Scrofa). Biochem Insights. 2010 Sep 1;2010(3):47-59.
2. Reiniger N, Lau K, McCalla D, Eby B, Cheng B, Lu Y, Qu W, Quadri N, Ananthakrishnan R, Furmansky M, Rosario R, Song F, Rai V, Weinberg A, Friedman R, Ramasamy R, D'Agati V, Schmidt AM. Deletion of the receptor for advanced glycation end products reduces glomerulosclerosis and preserves renal function in the diabetic OVE26 mouse. Diabetes. 2010 Aug;59(8):2043-54. Epub 2010 Jul 13.
3. Shang L, Ananthakrishnan R, Li Q, Quadri N, Abdillahi M, Zhu Z, Qu W, Rosario R, Touré F, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R.
RAGE modulates hypoxia/reoxygenation injury in adult murine cardiomyocytes via JNK and GSK-3beta signaling pathways. PLoS One. 2010 Apr 9; 5(4):e10092.
4. Ravindranath TM, Mong PY, Ananthakrishnan R, Li Q, Quadri N, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R, Wang Q. Novel role for aldose reductase in mediating acute inflammatory responses in the lung. J Immunol. 2009 Dec 15;183(12):8128-37.
5. Neelamegam R, Palatnik MT, Quadri N, Fraser-Rini J, Slifstein M, Abi-Dargham A, Easwaramoorthy B. Dimerization of phenols and naphthols using an aqueous sodium hypochlorite. Tetrahedron Letters 2010 (in Press).
6. Ananthakrishnan R, Kaneko M, Hwang YC, Quadri N, Gomez T, Li Q, Caspersen C, Ramasamy R. Aldose reductase mediates myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in part by opening mitochondrial permeability transition pore. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2009 Feb; 296(2):H333-41. Epub 2008 Dec 5.
My future plans includes developing HPLC methods to determine key antioxidants and AGE precursors in the heart, liver, adipose, and kidney.