Fei Song, MD, Research Scientist
I graduated from Harbin Medical University, School of Stromatology. I was certified as a prosthodontist after my residency in Beijing, China. I joined Dr. Schmidt’s research team at Columbia University Medical Center in 2001.
As part of the Diabetes Research Program at NYU Langone Medical Center, my research interests are (but not limited to): metabolism (physiology), metabolic syndrome/obesity/diabetes (pathology) and the role RAGE plays in multiple diabetes complications.
1. Reiniger N, Lau K, McCalla D, Eby B, Cheng B, Lu Y, Qu W, Quadri N, Ananthakrishnan R, Furmansky M, Rosario R, Song F, Rai V, Weinberg A, Friedman R, Ramasamy R, D'Agati V, Schmidt AM. Deletion of the receptor for advanced glycation end products reduces glomerulosclerosis and preserves renal function in the diabetic OVE26 mouse. Diabetes. 2010 Aug;59(8):2043-54. Epub 2010 Jul 13.
2. Xu Y, Toure F, Qu W, Lin L, Song F, Shen X, Rosario R, Garcia J, Schmidt AM, Yan SF. Advanced glycation end product (AGE)-receptor for AGE (RAGE) signaling and up-regulation of Egr-1 in hypoxic macrophages. J Biol Chem. 2010 Jul 23;285(30):23233-40. Epub 2010 May 27.
3. Bucciarelli LG, Ananthakrishnan R, Hwang YC, Kaneko M, Song F, Sell DR, Strauch C, Monnier VM, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R. RAGE and modulation of ischemic injury in the diabetic myocardium. Diabetes. 2008 Jul;57(7):1941-51. Epub 2008 Apr 16.
4. Aleshin A, Ananthakrishnan R, Li Q, Rosario R, Lu Y, Qu W, Song F, Bakr S, Szabolcs M, D'Agati V, Liu R, Homma S, Schmidt AM, Yan SF, Ramasamy R. RAGE modulates myocardial injury consequent to LAD infarction via impact on JNK and STAT signaling in a murine model. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2008 Apr;294(4):H1823-32. Epub 2008 Feb 1.
5. Toth C, Rong LL, Yang C, Martinez J, Song F, Ramji N, Brussee V, Liu W, Durand J, Nguyen MD, Schmidt AM, Zochodne DW. Receptor for advanced glycation end products (RAGEs) and experimental diabetic neuropathy. Diabetes. 2008 Apr;57(4):1002-17. Epub 2007 Nov 26.
6. Bucciarelli LG, Kaneko M, Ananthakrishnan R, Harja E, Lee LK, Hwang YC, Lerner S, Bakr S, Li Q, Lu Y, Song F, Qu W, Gomez T, Zou YS, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R. Receptor for advanced-glycation end products: key modulator of myocardial ischemic injury. Circulation. 2006 Mar 7;113(9):1226-34. Epub 2006 Feb 27.
News & Highlights
- Ann Marie Schmidt MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a Collaborative Interdisciplinary Team Science in NIDDK Research Areas (R24) grant from the NIH/NIDDK. <<more>>
Dr. Ramasamy has been granted tenure by the University. Effective July 1, 2014.
- Fei Song, MD is the Diabetes Research Program Researcher of the Month
- On May 14, 2014, the Department of Medicine held its 13th Annual Research Day. Among the participants were several members of the Diabetes Research Program. <<more>>
- The Diabetes Research Program and NYU's Initiative in Data Science and Statistics were awarded a research grant from Independence Blue Cross. The goal of this collaboration is twofold; detect undiagnosed diabetes cases and predict potential cases of the disease. <<more>>
- Ann Marie Schmidt, MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a grant from the NYU Abu Dhabi Institute. In collaboration with the NYU Abu Dhabi Public Health Research Institute, the project will examine the growing obesity and diabetes epidemic in Abu Dhabi.
- More News & Highlights