Gurdip Daffu, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
Originally from Windsor, Ontario in Canada, I received my PhD from Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Michigan in Molecular Neuroscience. My PhD work involved investigating the major central nervous system myelin proteins Proteolipid Protein and DM20. I used various biochemical assays to probe the folding, structure and protein-protein interaction ability of Pelizaeus-Merzbacher disease-causing point mutations in PLP/DM20.
Following my PhD, I completed a short unique postdoc at Columbia University where I was fortunate to gain industrial level experience in experimental therapeutics. There, I worked with a team in the development of novel therapeutics for the US Army to combat nerve agent exposure. I recently joined the Diabetes Research Program at NYU and am collectively using my previous experience to investigate the in-depth molecular and biochemical analysis of the pathways linking RAGE (receptor for advanced glycation end products) to regulation of the transcription of key genes such as glyoxalase-I, ABCG1 and Early growth response-l (Egr-l) in vascular signaling and atherosclerosis.
News & Highlights
- Translational Research in Diabetes and Obesity: Exciting Collaborations at NYULMC
- Ann Marie Schmidt MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a Collaborative Interdisciplinary Team Science in NIDDK Research Areas (R24) grant from the NIH/NIDDK. <<more>>
Dr. Ramasamy has been granted tenure by the University. Effective July 1, 2014.
- Radha Ananthakrishnan, PhD is the Diabetes Research Program Researcher of the Month
- On May 14, 2014, the Department of Medicine held its 13th Annual Research Day. Among the participants were several members of the Diabetes Research Program. <<more>>
- The Diabetes Research Program and NYU's Initiative in Data Science and Statistics were awarded a research grant from Independence Blue Cross. The goal of this collaboration is twofold; detect undiagnosed diabetes cases and predict potential cases of the disease. <<more>>
- Ann Marie Schmidt, MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a grant from the NYU Abu Dhabi Institute. In collaboration with the NYU Abu Dhabi Public Health Research Institute, the project will examine the growing obesity and diabetes epidemic in Abu Dhabi.
- More News & Highlights