Mariane Abdillahi, PhD, Postdoctoral Fellow
My name is Mariane Abdillahi and I recently defended my PhD thesis entitled "Molecular and Cellular Signaling Mechanisms Elucidating Aldose Reductase Mediated Ischemia-Reperfusion Injury in the Myocardium" at Columbia University.
During my PhD studies, I investigated the signaling mechanisms by which the aldose reductase (AR) pathway contributes to the vulnerability of the myocardium during ischemia-reperfusion injury. My research and collaboration with others in the Diabetes Research Program has been instrumental in allowing me to further develop my understanding of the nutritionally regulated biochemical pathways, which occur in obesity, diabetes and during the aging process.
In the future, I plan to employ my scientific training and communication skills to pursue a career in science policy. My goal is to understand how scientific research drives recommendations and implementation for public policies.
1. Abdillahi M, Ananthakrishnan R, Vedantham S, Shang L, Zhu Z, Rosario R, Zirpoli H, Gabbay K, Ramasamy R, Cardiac glycogen synthase kinase-3β phosphorylation is altered in human aldose reductase expressing mice during ischemia-reperfusion. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol. 2012 Aug 1; 303(3):H297-308. doi: 10.1152/ajpheart.00999.2011. Epub 2012 Jun 1.
2. Shang L, Ananthakrishnan R, Li Q, Quadri N, Abdillahi M, Zhu Z, Qu W, Rosario R, Touré F, Yan SF, Schmidt AM, Ramasamy R. Rage modulates hypoxia/reoxygenation injury in adult murine cardiomyocytes via JNK and GSK 3 beta signaling pathways. PLoS One. 2010 Apr 9;5(4):e10092. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0010092.
3. Geliebter A, Iching L, Abdillahi M, Jones J. Satiety following intake of potatoes and other carbohydrate test meals. Ann Nutr Metab. 2012 Dec 4; 62(1):37-43.
1. Abdillahi, M., Ananthakrishnan, R., Shang, L., Vedantham, S., Zhu, Z., Rosario, R., Zirpoli, H., Ramasamy, R. Aldose reductase, glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta (GSK3β), and autophagy in ischemic Hearts. Abstract for poster presentation. Society for Heart and Vascular Metabolism. August 2010. Kananaskis, Canada.
2. Geliebter, A., Lee, I., Abdillahi, M., Jones, J. Satiety and glycemic index of potatoes in relation to other carbohydrate test meals. The FASEB Journal.
News & Highlights
- Ann Marie Schmidt MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a Collaborative Interdisciplinary Team Science in NIDDK Research Areas (R24) grant from the NIH/NIDDK. <<more>>
Dr. Ramasamy has been granted tenure by the University. Effective July 1, 2014.
- Fei Song, MD is the Diabetes Research Program Researcher of the Month
- On May 14, 2014, the Department of Medicine held its 13th Annual Research Day. Among the participants were several members of the Diabetes Research Program. <<more>>
- The Diabetes Research Program and NYU's Initiative in Data Science and Statistics were awarded a research grant from Independence Blue Cross. The goal of this collaboration is twofold; detect undiagnosed diabetes cases and predict potential cases of the disease. <<more>>
- Ann Marie Schmidt, MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a grant from the NYU Abu Dhabi Institute. In collaboration with the NYU Abu Dhabi Public Health Research Institute, the project will examine the growing obesity and diabetes epidemic in Abu Dhabi.
- More News & Highlights