Nosirudeen A. Quadri, Research Technician
Recent findings have implicated the enzymes of polyol pathway and their involvement in ischemia-reperfusion injury.
My current research interest is to investigate the underlying mechanism involved in ROS mediated myocardial injury and mitochondrial dysfunction triggered by LAD occlusion and reperfusion injury in the myocardium using murine models, both in the absence and presence of diabetes.
Our initial studies demonstrated that aldose reductase (AR) and ROS is highly upregulated in the murine heart after ischemia reperfusion injury, triggering mitochondrial dysfunction, in part through pore opening. I have over 6 years of experience in conducting studies elucidating the impact of signaling events mediated by mitochondria.
1. N. Reiniger, K. Lau, D. McCalla, B. Eby, B. Cheng, Y. Lu, W. Qu, N. Quadri, R. Ananthakrishnan, M. Furmansky, R.Rosario, F. Song, V. Rai, A. Weinberg, R. Friedman, R. Ramasamy, V. D'Agati and A. M. Schmidt. Deletion of the Receptor for Advanced Glycation Endproducts Reduces Glomerulosclerosis and Preserves Renal Function in the Diabetic OVE26 Mouse. Diabetes 2010, 59: 2043-2054.
2. T.M. Ravindranath, P. Y. Mong, R. Ananthakrishnan, Q. Li, N. Quadri, A. M. Schmidt, R. Ramasamy*, Q. Wang*. Novel role for aldose reductase in mediating acute inflammatory responses in the lung. Journal of Immunology 2009, 183: 8128-8137
3. L. Shang, R. Ananthakrishnan, Q. Li, N. Quadri, M Abdillahi, Z. Zhu, W. Qu, R. Rosario, F. Touré, S.F. Yan, A. M. Schmidt, R. Ramasamy. RAGE Modulates Hypoxia/Reoxygenation Injury in Adult Murine Cardiomyocytes Via JNK and GSK-3β Signaling Pathways. PLOS One 2010, 5: e10092.
4. Radha Ananthakrishnan, Michio Kaneko, Yuying C. Hwang, Nosirudeen Quadri, Teodoro Gomez, Qing Li, Casper Casperson and Ravichandran Ramasamy. Aldose reductase mediates myocardial ischemia- reperfusion injury in part by opening mitochondrial permeability transition pore. AM J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296:H 333-341, 2009.
News & Highlights
- Translational Research in Diabetes and Obesity: Exciting Collaborations at NYULMC
- Ann Marie Schmidt MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a Collaborative Interdisciplinary Team Science in NIDDK Research Areas (R24) grant from the NIH/NIDDK. <<more>>
Dr. Ramasamy has been granted tenure by the University. Effective July 1, 2014.
- Radha Ananthakrishnan, PhD is the Diabetes Research Program Researcher of the Month
- On May 14, 2014, the Department of Medicine held its 13th Annual Research Day. Among the participants were several members of the Diabetes Research Program. <<more>>
- The Diabetes Research Program and NYU's Initiative in Data Science and Statistics were awarded a research grant from Independence Blue Cross. The goal of this collaboration is twofold; detect undiagnosed diabetes cases and predict potential cases of the disease. <<more>>
- Ann Marie Schmidt, MD and Ravi Ramasamy, PhD were awarded a grant from the NYU Abu Dhabi Institute. In collaboration with the NYU Abu Dhabi Public Health Research Institute, the project will examine the growing obesity and diabetes epidemic in Abu Dhabi.
- More News & Highlights